Lack of Black Love [pt. 2]



Second entry:

23 Dec 2010

For some reason I was never keen on reading Hill Harper’s book The Conversation. I picked it up the other day at the book store [since I do have much time on my hands]. The beginning of this book amazed me. I honestly thought this book was written for the whining females and impatient men who cannot have genuine relationships. Which I guess is true to an extent for it does focus on fostering healthy communication. BUT the driving factor for this book was based on our crisis of the black family. Yes a crisis. Read below:

"In 1966, more than 84 percent of all Black children were being raised in two-parent households. in 2006, just forty years later, fewer than 33 percent of all Black children were being raised in two-parent households. That’s a precipitous 51 percent decline. We could blame it on the change in attitudes about marriage over the past forty years, but that still would not explain why, in 2006, more than 80 percent of Asian American children, nearly 75 percent of White American children, and close to 70 percent of Latino American children were being raised in two-parent households."

This is more than complaining about the black man or woman. These relationships that we put NO kind of strength into effects our future. And literally. It effects our children. Who are our people of the future. Our relationship seeps into our babies. Their minds. Their characteristics. Their whole entire being. And well if mama did it alone, so can I. I can hold my own. I don’t need a man…. Catch my drift?

This is a problem.




0 comments:

Post a Comment