The Kids Don't Stand A Chance

Written By: Troy Harris

"We're trapped inside the matrix. Forced to play our hands. We're filled with so much hatred. The kids don't stand a chance." - B.o.B

I had the privilege of being able to speak at a local middle school's Career Day today with one of my good friends. When I originally heard that I was on the program I was excited. For those of you that don't know me, I love to inspire others to feel the same feeling of fire that I feel everyday. Nevertheless, I showed up excited for the day to come.
We were assigned to an 8th grade class to talk to them about the importance of college and the benefits of attending an HBCU (FAMU in particular). When I first stepped foot in the room, I heard murmurs and whispers about how young we looked and that we didn't "look" like we had anything important to say. About midway through our spiel about SATs and study habits, I noticed the general sense of boredom shared by most of the children in the class.
One student was asleep. One wasn't paying attention at all. A few were conversing in the back of the class, and at times the teacher seemed like she lacked control of both their attention and actions. In fact, at times, the only individuals that would listen were the few that had actually visited FAMU's campus before. I soon realized that if the children can't relate, then they won't be interested. If they're not interested, then they won't learn. Period. "A mind is like a parachute. It works best when open."
With this in mind, I decided to switch it up a bit to a more atypical, interactive session. I began to ask them about their dreams and aspirations, trying my best to stray from the cliches ("stay in school", "follow your dreams", etc.), which I knew they would naturally tune out. We began to garner more interest as the conversation progressed. We started talking more about what they WANTED to do than what they were FORCED to do.
We discovered that the inattentive kid in the back was a guitar player who was out casted by his peers because of his unconventional skill ("Black people don't play the guitar nigga!") The kids in the back both wanted to be architects and artists, but just didn't feel the need to express it because of their environment. The kid that was sleep had dreams of being an entrepreneur but was under stimulated by talks of "fitting in" After a while every kid had stood up and said what they really wanted to do with their life and in the eyes of the youth I saw drive and passion. A rewarding experience to say the least.
All in all, the talk was ultra productive. Instead of GPAs, ACTs, and scholarships. We spoke of discovering, seizing, and reaching their full potential. At the end of the day, SCHOOL REALLY ISN'T THAT IMPORTANT. Even the most staunch conformist will tell you that it isn't always WHAT you know that gets you places in life. So I encouraged the hoop dreamer to keep playing basketball, and the guitarist to keep strumming because after all, its YOUR life to live, and no one else's. Money isn't everything.... really.
Strangely, my own words became applicable to my personal life. And yours too. Life is for living. For experiencing. For exploring and discovering. The thing I've learned in the classrooms while in school have, and probably will, be of little benefit to REAL LIFE. Get out of the matrix. Believe little of what you hear and some of what you see. Only embody the lessons learned, and you'll make it. I encourage everyone to read Carter G. Woodson's "The Mis-Education of the Negro". Learn, because an empty mind in America will be filled with thoughts and ideals that shouldn't be there. If we don't help the kids, who will?

I'm on my way. You should join me.



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

dope.
-sloyd

Post a Comment