Perception of Riches

Written by: by Garett P. Williams

“Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.”
- Camille Pissarro


Do you remember what you considered a lot of money when you were a child? More importantly do you remember what was important to you, what it took to make your day, when you were a toddler?
A few days ago I did my grocery shopping for the week. I wandered through aisle after aisle, head down, staring at a grocery list that was too long to match up with a budget that was too small. I went to ring up what I’d compiled in my shopping cart, items that were absolutely essential at the front of the conveyor belt and those that were least important at the end in case they needed to be put back. A few of the items had to be.
I walked out of the grocery store stressed about my bank account, discouraged about the modest days that would lie ahead. On cue I was blessed by a visitor with an important message. A lady, aged beyond her years, in tattered clothes and a desperate look on her face approached me at my car. With her head down and hands together she told me that she was homeless and asked me if I could spare any amount of money to help her feed her daughter. I’d just nearly cleared my bank account to buy groceries, but I did have some change the car. I scooped up what I had, a measly three dollars maybe and poured it into her cupped hands while apologizing for not having any cash to give.
In the past few months I have not seen a larger smile on anyone’s face than the one that she gave me for those three dollars in quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies. She thanked me endlessly, that smile never leaving her face. What could she do with that? Maybe get her daughter one of those $2.99 happy meals with a toy to keep her occupied. It was hard to understand how her outlook could have been altered so drastically by such a small amount of money. Then I realized how wrong I’d been prior to her arrival. Stressed and discouraged with a cart full of groceries, a car to put them in, and a shelter just for me.
This one lady, seemingly heaven sent, showed to me the error of my ways. I was embarrassed to be so ungrateful when the majority of the people in the world have much less than I do and ever since I’ve been so happy to be anywhere near as fortunate as I am.Now when you were a child what did you consider a lot of money? A childhood friend of mine, when she was four, got to ask her uncle for however much money she wanted she asked for $100. Best day of her life. I once watched my 14 month old cousin McKenzie laugh hysterically because she was running and being chased. When that constituted a game were we not much happier? I believe we were but the misconception is that life was better when we were younger. How were we so much richer in our early days when we had so much less? -Perception of riches-

If there is so much power in thought why are we not more protective of our minds. When a few moments of reflection can illuminate a situation for us, or bring us peace and happiness why do we not focus our thoughts on things that are truly important.

Riches are whatever you percieve them to be. Let us be grateful every single minute for the riches we posses.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. I too have been guilty of walking out of the store disgruntled and worried while loading my groceries in the car and heading home to my family and apartment. Thank you for reminding about what is truly important, and the real meaning of "rich". God has richly blessed me and mine, and I pray that He will continue to bless you.

Post a Comment